top of page
By 1835 a National day-school for 40 children and 2 infants had been established, supported by parents, the rector, and Mrs. Jane Parke. (fn. 157). It was evidently held in a schoolroom west of the present Dower House.
A new school to the west of the church was built in 1840, (fn. 159) which subsequently housed both day-school and Sunday school.
In 1846–7 the day-school, under one master, was attended by 16 girls and 11 infants (all boys), and the Sunday school, under one mistress, by 23 boys and 38 girls. (fn. 160) The schoolrooms were extended in 1870, and in 1894 the day-school, by then a voluntary mixed church school, had an average attendance of 57. (fn. 161)
By 1903 there were 81 on the books and it was reported to be 'a good school on the whole', (fn. 162) In 1908 there were more children from Kingstone than Dowlish Wake, and the number on the books had risen to 97. (fn. 163)
In 1916 a new subscription list was drawn up to finance the school, the managers having exhausted their existing capital.
It took juniors only from 1928, when the senior pupils were transferred to Ilminster. (fn. 164) This change in status reduced the number to 54 in 1938. (fn. 165) The school was closed in 1949; the children were transferred to Chillington and the building was converted to a village hall in 1952.
It was built by William Speke and was bought from the Spekes by the people who lived in the village at that time.
bottom of page